Over 160 Years of Brotherhood
Phi Kappa Sigma was founded by Samuel Brown Wylie Mitchell (pictured right) at the University of Pennsylvania on August 16, 1850.
Fascinated by the prospect of fraternal relations with his fellowman, Mitchell set out to found a new, secret order in the restricted life of the university at that time. His papers indicate that on August 16, 1850, he had determined to install a new order on the campus in the fall of 1850.
While the official founding date of the Fraternity is August 16, 1850, Phi Kappa Sigma began celebrating “Founder’s Day” on October 19 as a commemoration of the establishment of Alpha Chapter.
Since its founding, the Fraternity has survived a Civil War, two world wars, the Great Depression, and has faced many other challenges but survives to this day.
Phi Kappa Sigma was one of the original eight fraternities founded at TCU when the university opened the Greek system in 1955.
- 45 Active Chapters
- 40,000 Living Alumni and 1,300 active undergraduate members
- Nicknames: "Phi Kap", "The Skulls", "Skullhouse"
- Fraternity Flower: Yellow Chrysanthemum
- Member of the Pennsylvania Triad along with FIJI and Phi Kappa Psi
- Symbol: Maltese Cross
- Philanthropy: LLS
- Founding Member of the TCU Greek System in 1955